Agency. Belonging. Compassion.
As an artist and educator, I build spaces of agency, belonging, and compassion that foster learning through play, exploration, repetition, and reflection. Teaching and learning, for me, is about making meaning for and with my students and being open to the ways students also make meaning for me.
I am an actor, director, and voice and movement coach with fifteen years of experience teaching in higher education. Certifications and Distinctions include:
Certified Margolis Method Educator
Lessac Kinesensic Voice and Body Training Practitioner
Theatre Nohgaku Mitsuo Kama Memorial Award recipient for research in Noh theatre and performance
My international work includes performances at Odin Teatret in Denmark and the Rhodopi Dramatichen Teatar in Bulgaria in addition to my studies in French at L’Université François Rabelais in Tours, France.
My research and creative activity focus on the integration of Eastern and Western training practices, 21st century approaches to actor training and theatre for social justice. Creative practices include intercultural physical theatre, devised theatre, and digital technology in performance.
I am currently working on a book about the scope and applications of the Margolis Method for actor training.
I am a member of NAAT (National Alliance of Acting Teachers), an executive member of both the Acting Focus Group and the Theatre and Social Change Focus Group for ATHE (Association of Theatre in Higher Education). I am a member of VASTA (Voice and Speech Trainers Association), ATME (Association of Theatre Movement Educators), and ATDS (American Theatre and Drama Society).
I hold a Master of Arts in French from Bowling Green State University and a Master of Fine Arts in Theatre Performance and Pedagogy from Texas Tech University.
Areas of Expertise
· Stanislavski-Based Acting · (Post) Psychophysical Acting ·
· Acting Shakespeare · Period Styles ·
· Audition Techniques · Mindfulness for the Actor ·
· Directing · Devising · Physical Theatre ·
· Margolis Method · Noh · Lessac Voice and Body Training ·
· Voice for the Actor · Movement for the Actor ·
· Laban/Bartenieff · The Michael Chekhov Technique · Viewpoints ·
· The Suzuki Method · Contact Improvisation ·
· Theatre History · Dramatic Literature · Script Analysis ·